I processed my first film today – Ilford fp4. I’m not sure if it’s supposed to look quite so contrasty. The processing actually went ok, despite slight chemical burning to the hands and a lots of mess.
Sadly, there seems to have been an issue with the camera (I know, blaming my tools). A number of frames/negatives were blank. They had the manufacturers tags and numbering on the film borders suggesting they were developed but were unexposed. On closer inspection the camera shutter is sticking.
It’s a cheap point and shoot from the 80s or 90s and it has fixed focus. The resulting images feature lots of out of focus subjects and many completely bleached white by the flash at close range. But all in all this was a good start.
For those interested:
- I used Ilford Ilfosol 3 developer.
- The dev time was 4.25 as suggested by Ilford. They provide excellent fact sheets and videos eg here.
- I used the ‘massive dev’ phone app which has customisable recipes and a good timer.
- The camera was the Miranda ME-Z I mentioned recently.
- I bought my tank etc from Ffordes who also have a great range of cameras.